Ditch Shitter Just Wrote .....

Ditch Shitter Just Wrote .....

Quick word about comments ...

Comments here are 'moderated'. In as much that I have to physically see them and wave them through once you hit Send. So, if ye write a Comment. Post it. Don't see it? No worries. It's just sitting there, waiting for me to come online and find it in my email. I click and your words appear here. Please don't post it several times. Get frustrated and storm off, never to be seen again. It's just a measure I was forced to put into place by doxxers, spammers and other, mentally unstable's.

Friday, March 20, 2020

James Herbert



  Seven years ago, is it? Seems to be. 20th of March, 2013, Jim slipped away. Fuck!

  To this day, I remember like it was yesterday. Although it was 1974. I was up at Brian P's place, in Paulsgrove. Up north of Portsmouth.

   I was a teen. He was a man. It'd become agreed that he and Mark ~ his mate ~ would take me out ferreting the next day. 

  Deep joy! A chance to go out with guys who had really caught rabbits! Brian had even told me of the time he'd met the living legend; Phil Lloyd! Fuck!

  So, this being an on the spur decision, I've nipped out to the phone box, across the road (Remember those things?!) And pumped a 10p coin in, to let my old dear know I wouldn't be home that night.

  Only, my brother answered the phone. Couple of years younger than me. But, well aware of my, by then, life long obsession with rat catching.

  " Ditch! " He yelled ~ with  a precognitive brilliance I'd never realised. " I've got ye a book! "

  I'm like; " Eh?! I just want to let mum know I won't be home tonight. I'm staying over and going ferreting tomorrow. "

  And he's like: " It's called " The Rats "! It has a picture of a fucking great rat on the cover, teeth dripping with blood. Seems they took over London."

  I've rarely made such decisions. Glimpse at my watch. At the bus time table. Dash!

  I remember sprinting up our road. Beating on our door. Literally  snatching the fucking book out pf my brothers hand. Barely a gasped, " Thanks, Bro! " (Not that we spoke that shit, in them days!) Then I was gone.

  Sprinted back. Got the last bus back to Paulsgrove. Settled down on Brian and Sonia's sofa and opened James Herbert' " The Rats ".

  Wow! I was fucking Hallucinating, time I finished that book. But I Finished It! Start to finish. Brian's sofa. Fuck, yeah!!!

  Half hour later? We went ferreting. I seem to remember a few bits about that day. Mark. Brian. Grass. Chalk. Flint.

  Done a shit ton of ferreting since then. Had the absolute pleasure of meeting, and getting to befriend the Living Legend too.

  Just looking back. 

  Fuck me; How scary is it?!

2 comments:

  1. Back then, the thoughts of rabbits being a scarce animal in the uk, would have been laughable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eddie! Ye comment worked?! Excellent! :D

    Have a go at a 'Reaction', please, mate.

    ReplyDelete